Thursday, January 26, 2012

Repurpose a Pipe Cleaner as a Knitting "Bookmark" for Unfinished Projects

For the past week I've been practicing my knit stitch (over...and over...and over) in preparation for an upcoming, top-secret project tutorial for all of YOU lovely people.

Here's the conundrum: I'm not done yet with the practice project I started (and I don't want to unravel/shelf it), BUT I'm ready to start another one from scratch to start teaching y'all with. Aaaaand I only have one set of needles.

What to do?

Well, if you have more common sense than I do, you'll just borrow your mom's needles for your new project. But that was way too conventional and uncreative for me (small print: the thought never entered my pretty little head), so I had the brilliant idea to use a pipe cleaner as a sort of bookmark to hold my row until I come back to the project.

All you need is a pipe cleaner.
Feed the pipe cleaner through the row that's on the needle. My stitches were pretty tight, so I could only get one on at a time and had to transfer the stitches really close to the end of the needle.
Once all the stitches are on the pipe cleaner, they might be bunched up, so spread them out a bit just like they'd be on the needle.
The great thing about using a pipe cleaner is you can then twist the ends together to make sure the stitches won't fall off!
Now I realize that experienced knitters probably have some contraption (or just extra needles!) to handle situations like this, but for me, this was a quick and easy solution. Part of being a contemporary farm girl is making do with what you've got at hand and not being afraid to try things different ways (and potentially look silly doing so!).

Experienced knitters, are there any other strategies besides extra needles and pipe cleaners for "bookmarking" projects?

4 comments:

  1. Your blog is so clever and funny. My favorite part of this post: the small print. Very funny. I love your blog. I would love to see some post sometime about the inspiration for your wedding. I loved what you did. It was so unique and artsy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Corinne! It makes me so happy that you're enjoying it. Maybe sometime in the future I'll share about our wedding...honestly, I never get sick of talking about it! :-)

      Delete
  2. Elizabeth, you are so creative! You can also just feed a spare piece of yarn through the stitches. They also make a "stitch holder" - looks like a big safety pin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy! Now that you say it, I have seen those big safety pins before. I just never knew what they were for! Thanks for sharing your expertise with us :-)

      Delete

I'd love to read what you think! Please be respectful; unkind comments will be removed. And my husband or dad may hunt you down and kick your butt.