Saturday, March 31, 2012

Prettier (But Still Super Easy) Knitted Dishcloth Tutorial



Hey fellow knitting newbies, ready for something a bit more interesting and attractive than the Absolute Beginner's First Knitted Dishcloth? This Prettier Knitted Dishcloth is still super easy and appropriate for beginners, but you'll get to learn a few new tricks AND it looks way nicer than the boring back-and-forth first one we did.

Thanks to Beth at the chiropractor who not only first got me into knitting, but also showed me this fun pattern!

Here's what you need:

*A ball of Sugar 'n Cream cotton yarn (you'll be able to make at least 2 dishcloths out of one ball)
*A pair of #7 knitting needles: as I explain in the first video, you might want to have both 9" and 13" needles
*Scissors and a yarn needle for finishing off
*The pattern...since it's not the same thing over and over like our first dishcloth, it's nice to have as a reference just to double-check yourself



Prettier Knitted Dishcloth Pattern

1. Cast on 4 (remember, the slipknot counts as 1)
2. Knit 1 row
3. Next row: knit 2, yarn over, knit 2
4. Next row: knit 2, yarn over, knit to end of row
5. Continue step 4 until there are 45 stitches on needle
6. Next row: knit 1, knit 2 together, yarn over, knit 2 together, knit to end of row
7. Continue step 6 until there are 5 stitches left on the needle
8. Next row: knit 2, knit 2 together, knit 1
9. Cast off 4 stitches
10: Cut yarn and weave in ends

Let's get started! 

If you need a review on tying a slipknot and casting on or how to knit stitch, go ahead a take a minute to view the videos linked in this sentence.

This video will get you from the slipknot to the halfway mark of the dishcloth. You'll learn how to increase, or add a stitch to each new row, which is how we start from a corner and knit diagonally.


Here's mine after a few minutes. See the pretty border made by yarning over?


As you keep increasing, your 9" needles might start to feel a bit too short for holding all those stitches. In this video, I show you how to switch out to longer needles.


Once you've got 45 stitches on the needle, woohoo, you're halfway there! Now it's time to decrease. Watch below.


Just to emphasize that it's perfectly fine if you make mistakes, here's some proof of my knitting fallibility.


Finally, when you've got 5 stitches left on the needle, it's time to cast off and finish the dishcloth.


Aaaaaaand, voilĂ ! I love making these in bright colors, they're so cheery and make me feel like my new granny pastime is somehow hip and cool.


So, how'd you do? Give it a go, then come back and tell me about it!

12 comments:

  1. I love your tutorial! I just finished my dishcloth! It is a yellow and white color, I love it so much.

    Thanks so much for the great videos and walking me through the steps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are SO welcome! Thank you for talking to time to read and comment. I'm so glad you're happy with your cloth!

      Delete
  2. I found your blog on pinterest, and I have successfully finished my first (presentable) dishcloth using your tutorial! It's ombre blue yarn, so it has nice diagonal stripes (unintentional, but cool!).

    Thank you so much for laying the process out step by step - your videos and directions are so easy to follow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ombre yarns are so great because they add that extra zing without the extra work!

      I'm so glad you found the tutorial helpful. Thank you for taking the time to comment! Stick around and enjoy more fun projects!

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for the tutorial! I've made two and I love them UNTIL I get to the very end and once I have only 4 stitches I cast off but.... it looks hideous. That end doesn't look nice like the other end. It's just all wonky and stretched out. I tried to push/stretch it all in to a nice square but it's not really working.
    Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I haven't had this problem before, but I'm going to share this with my much more experienced knitter friends and see if they can help! :-)

      Delete
    2. Hey there! Here's what my farm girl pals said:

      "with those last 4 stitches...try knitting 2tog twice?..then cast of the last stitch ..pull the yarn snug after"

      So, instead of casting off when you've got 4 left, do one more row of knit2tog, knit2tog, then you'll just have two stitches left. Cast off those.

      Try it and let us know how it goes!

      Delete
  4. My Grandma calles those random holes and "mistakes" your love-stiches. Its how you know it was made by a real person with care :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, I love that! I can't wait to share that with my farm girls circle this weekend!

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to try these- they look adorable. In case you wanted to know, the holes usually come from when you set down your work and pick it up and continue in the wrong direction. I am a beginner myself but my mom is pro. She has taught me this one over the years :) I still do it from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, that makes sense! Thanks so much for your comment!

      Delete
  6. I gave up on learning to knit last year but that was such a wonderful tutorial, I started my first dish cloth last night and finished it this morning! Thank you for inspiring me to want to learn to knit again!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read what you think! Please be respectful; unkind comments will be removed. And my husband or dad may hunt you down and kick your butt.